Thursday, October 23, 2014

Week 9 - Journal Entry 1 - Monologue Idea and Hierarchy Revision

I've decided to change my monologue idea again from the Rocky one, and have instead, chosen to do a scene from the show How I Met Your Mother.  The dialogue can be seen below.


In text, Barney says:

"I love everything about her, and I'm not a guy who says that lightly. I am a guy who has faked love his entire life. I thought love was just something idiots thought they felt, but this woman has a hold on my heart that I could not break if I wanted to. And there have been times that I wanted to. It has been overwhelming, and humbling, and even painful at times, but I could not stop loving her anymore than I could stop breathing. I am hopeless, irretrievably, in love with her more than she knows."

One of the problems I'm currently facing as I'm working through the monologue is fitting in all of the text onto one spread in coherence to my sketches. Another issue I'm having is figuring out how to deal with the punctuation, since there are some parts in which run-on sentences occur.

I contemplated choosing a scene from Breaking Bad where Walter says "I am the danger" and "I am the one who knocks," both of which are popular and memorable lines from the show. However, the speech was a bit too long, and if I had excluded the beginning few pauses, the speech wouldn't have been as dramatic. Many people have also already done a motion typography video for it, so I figured the speech from Barney would be more original.

I met with Professor Mata to talk about my composition to get some feedback, which was really helpful. I've begun adding the revisions and am understanding the assignment a bit more now and will post pictures of it once I've finished.

On Tuesday's class, we had approximately 30 minutes to recreate the hierarchy composition, except on an 8" x 10" document this time. Below is a picture of how mine turned out.


I was told that I should make the lines slightly thinner. They stand out even more in comparison to everything else once it's printed. I would have made the revision, but this is how it looked for the critique so I am posting it as-is. If I were to fully revise this though, I would change the weight on the word "center" to make it more noticeable. I should also make the horizontal lines thinner as mentioned. Kerning and leading could also use a lot of work. Aside from the smaller details, I'm fairly happy with the composition of it.

We then had to revise or recreate another one for homework. Instead of revising it, I chose to create a new one, because I figured making minor changes to it wouldn't feel as fulfilling. Below is how my second one turned out.


Overall, I'm not too satisfied with out this one turned out. I didn't give myself enough time to work on it, which I should have. I mostly don't like it because the middle column reminds me of a receipt. There are things I would revise about this, such as the kerning, leading, and overall composition. I would resize some of the type and probably rearrange it as well. It looks better horizontally then vertically, although the middle column wouldn't be very legible. The words Jazz and Ballet become easier to read then. Although we didn't have time to go over it today in class, it was due today, so I am posting it here as-is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment