Friday, September 5, 2014

Week 2 - Journal Entry 2

In class today we continued lecture on the history of type and covered some examples. I learned about the importance of counters within letters and how they can change visually when italicized. For my t-shirt project, I randomly picked "Carol Twombly," who coincidentally through a brief search, appears to have created the official typeface for the Pennsylvania University, where I used to attend. She also created the typeface Trajan, which I considered using for my nametag. I look forward to learning more about her this weekend. I have started reading the article entries assigned in class. We also started our 4-letter word project, for which I will post pictures later after I complete it. I will post a couple more examples of type later.


Good:
The type above is balanced, despite the poor cropping on my part. The red color of the typeface was a good choice, because the blue and yellow colors are repeated already repeated in areas other than the type, which brings harmony to the entire design. The typeface is also modern and engaging, adding a clean look that is not clustered.


Bad:
The type is cliche, boring, and not organized well. The word "friends" appears to be tilting upwards. The slight connection between the 'r' and 'i' can be confusing, because it creates the look of an unidentifiable character. All of the other characters in the title are not connected to each other in the same way. The words "all welcome" should be placed elsewhere, between the portion at the bottom should be isolated for time and date information only. A change in font size could be beneficial.

0 comments:

Post a Comment