Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week 7 - Journal Entry 1 - T-Shirt Design and Typographer Presentation

We presented our research and t-shirt designs to the class today. Below are some progress pics along with pictures of my powerpoint presentation in chronological order as it was presented.












The powerpoint was straightforward and was used more for notes and key points on which I could elaborate about during my presentation. I chose to use Myriad Pro as the typeface on the slides, because Carol Twombly helped to create it.

Below are pictures of different designs that I created, and they show how I progressed towards my final one. I've decided to post them, because each individual picture was a possible design that I could have chosen to use. As it turns out, the last design I created just coincidentally wound up being the one I decided to go with.

The main idea of my design correlates to the fact that Myriad Pro replaced Garamond and has become one of the official typefaces used by Apple for their marketing purposes. Myriad, by definition, also means "a countless, or extremely great number," so Professor Mata gave me the idea to have the words "Myriad Pro" recreated multiple times. She knew that it had many different weights, so I would have been able to create an interesting design.

This was my initial design, and I contemplated having it either on the upper-back or mid-chest on the front. The apple measures approximately 5" x 6.5", including the leaf at the top. I wasn't aware of the typo that I had made in the word "Myriad" towards the top left bold-faced section until one of my later productions, so I fixed it for those designs and could have for this one. I decided to not bother changing it because I knew at that point that I wasn't going with this design. The type is distorted and fairly illegible, so I knew I had to add more to it to actually make it coherent with the design.

Originally, my idea was to put the earlier design of the apple over top of the silhouette of the apple that I have here. There wasn't enough contrast between the color and size of my fonts to create the look I wanted, and so I decided to get rid of the text in the apple. The shape of the apple still seemed too difficult to see in this one. One of my favorite parts of this design, is how most of the words are cut off except for the one at the center-bottom. The words Myriad Pro appear in order as opposed to saying "Pro Myriad" and it lets the viewer know what words I'm depicting throughout the design.

This is similar to the one above it. I inverted the colors of the type and added a gradient to bring forth the shape of the apple.

The previous design still seemed to lack contrast, so I made all of the type black. The gradient here helps to add depth to the letters so that they don't appear as flat. The small square at the top left was going to be printed on the same sheet, but cut out and ironed onto the bottom-left corner of the hoodie just to add some color elsewhere than the design. The square would have been better as a separate patch of cloth stitched on than an iron-on, though.

This is basically a combination of the first design with the fourth design. Whereas it didn't seem to work when I combined the first and second design, by adding a gradient and inverting the colors of the type on the apple, it created a strong enough contrast between the object and the background. The contours of the apple add a slight 3-dimensional illusion. Again, the small square was placed there to be integrated into the hoodie separately.

Again, this is similar to the previous design. I was just trying to add colors that could abstractly represent silky streams of paint and integrate them into the design rather than having a square placed separately. This particular design, especially with the streams of colors, was heavily inspired by Avicii's lyric video for his song "The Days."

Here I was just messing around with the pathfinder tool and trying to incorporate color into the design somehow. I had tried changing the color of the type in the background, but that didn't work with the look I was going for. I get the idea of continents inside of the apple, which didn't work with my idea. Maybe if I had gone with stripes of colors in the apple, it would have worked better.

This is the design that I created last and ended up using. It wasn't really planned and rather created through trial and error. I was curious how the pattern would look across the entire background, so I tried it. It gave it a more modern look and reminded me less of computers than the other designs, while still leaving the apple fairly visible. None of the type here is particularly legible except for the one at the bottom-center which lets the viewer know what words I am trying to depict. The black squares combine with the letters to help reinforce the idea of representation through shapes, which Carol Twombly talked about. It was a concept that I struggled with trying to add into my design. The background appears almost like weaves or textiles, both of which are Carol Twombly's hobbies. She actually creates textiles as a profession now. I also wanted a design that could appear unisex, which this one appears to be. I'm not bothered by how illegible the type is, because if a person looks at it long enough, they can read some of the words. The only necessary one is at the bottom-center. All of the rest of the words help to add form to the apple. Overall, I was fairly satisfied with how it turned out.

The entire image measures approximately 8 1/2" x 11". I was fairly happy with how it turned out. The top left corner of the print in the image is one that is peeling, because I did not iron it long enough. At one point the paper turned brown, so I thought I had possibly burned it. At the very least, I thought it would have transferred enough. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I still like how it turned out for the most part though. I generally try to avoid wearing anything with large graphics, but I like the colors here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment